Tuesday, February 28, 2012
February is Heart Month!
Yikes! I almost missed Heart Month!
With only days to spare, here are some Tips for Heart Health from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center CardioVascular Institute. Stay healthy out there!
1. Schedule a check-up....don't avoid your doctor. (Like I used to do). Ignoring your health will not prevent a heart attack.
2. Eat your fish....I eat salmon at least once a week. Omega-3 fatty acids are good for your heart.
3. Get up and move..... Exercise, baby! Walk every day for a strong heart.
4. Cut down on salt.... excess salt puts pressure on your blood vessels and heart. Avoid processed food and fast food. Eat fresh!
5. Avoid trans fats....That means no McDonald's french fries (*sob, sob...oh, how I miss you!*). (ETA: Evidently, McDonald's fries no longer have trans fat, but still have saturated fat...also bad. Bad fries! Bad!) Eat good fats instead--from nuts, seeds, plants and fish.
6. Cut 100 calories a day.....it's an easy way to lose weight. Simple way to do that is cut out calorie-laden drinks, and just have water.
7. Quit smoking....it increases your risk for heart attack or stroke.
Most important advice for romance-lovers....take care of your heart! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
All my best,