Monday morning updates....
1) My 8 year old daughter had her first soccer game this weekend. She was filled with anxiety. Not about her athletic performance. About how to accessorize her soccer outfit. There were actual tears over the fact that her shin guards and socks did not match. At one point the coach asked "Does everyone have shin guards on?" and Nat answered "Everyone but you." I tried to find a good place to hide but it was a wide open field. Even though Nat's team got creamed, she scored the only goal for the Royals. All in all, a nice season opener.
2) As most of you may know, my husband has a wee little fly-fishing addiction. He hired a guide for our up-coming trip to Captiva, and Captain So-and-So just happened to mention that he has been catching tarpon. Much to my husband's chagrin, and in spite of countless trips to the Keys and Belize, he has not yet snagged a tarpon. If you ask him if he's ever caught a tarpon, he will ramble on about how "he made eye contact" with the tarpon, and the tarpon "spit out the fly," how they sized each other up for 14 hours until sundown, yada yada yada, and at the end of the story if you ask "So did you catch him?" he'll shoot you a nasty look and answer "You just don't understand fishing, honey." Needless to say, this latest news about tarpon in them there waters has my husband worked up into a tarpon-fishing frenzy. He has been casting on our front lawn in preparation for the trip - I affectionately refer to this activity as "Casting to Nowhere." Our neighbors enjoy driving by and yelling out "Caught anything yet?" My hubs just ignores them.
3) My preparation for our trip, unfortunately, has involved clothes shopping, one of my most hated activities. Especially if it's for swim suits. Even though I have lost 45 pounds, shopping for swim suits is still a traumatic event. Thank God for Land's End, who has finally figured out that women aren't so keen on wedgies or old-lady skirts. Look what I found in their catalogue this year.....
It's the answer to my prayers! Surfer-style swim shorts. No more wedgies. No more little old lady skirts. Why didn't they come up with this idea sooner? Huh?
Finally, I am compiling my reading list for Florida. Here's what I have so far....
- Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole
- Touch of a Thief by Mia Marlowe (ARC)
- The Redhead Revealed by Alice Clayton
- Too Perfect by Julie Ortolon
- Scoundrel by Zoe Archer
- Rebel by Zoe Archer
- This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
That ought to keep me busy! While my husband and children are trying to catch that elusive tarpon, I will be sipping my fruity cocktail near the pool with my trusty Kindle in hand. I would love some recommendations for a couple of extra books to read. Let me know if you've read something spectacular lately! Especially if it's funny. I'm into funny right now.
All My Best,