Monday, January 20, 2014
PAINTED FACES by LH Cosway - A Review by Penny Reid
Top 5 reasons you must read Painted Faces by LH Cosway
A Review by Penny Reid
This book, you must read it. And here is why:
1. The funny. Yes, funny. I know you’ve read the blurb and are wondering to yourself how can this book be funny? But it is. Here are some of my favorite lines:
"I might not have a boyfriend, but I have cupcakes, and those tasty bastards haven't let me down yet."
"It makes me feel more normal when I can see my life is full of stereotypes."
"...Hello. You'll be starring in my dirty dreams tonight, Mr. Blue Eyes"
2. Freda (the girl). Freda is a real person. She has flaws—of the physical and the mental variety—just like a *GASP* real person. She also doesn’t fall into bed with people. She’s also smart…. I know, right? Doesn’t sound like a book person, sounds more like a real person.
3. Nicolas/Viv (the boy). Nicolas is… *sigh* Sorry, what was I saying? He is maybe the most masculine, alpha, sexy male I’ve ever read. Just thinking about him makes my chest all achy.
4. You will be uncomfortable and you will love every minute of it! And, I’m not talking about dirty/weird/kinky sex uncomfortable. I’m talking about challenging your perceptions of gender by making you fall in love with someone who isn’t ‘normal’ or typical, but someone who is so beautiful and exquisitely drawn. You are compelled. You have no choice. Viv is love. Freda is adorable.
5. ALL OF THE FEELS! Every single one of them. I laughed, I sniffled, I was angry, I was frustrated (but not for long).
Also, of note, I’ve read this book twice. I never do that. The last book I read twice was The Lord of the Rings, so BAM!
Pick it up, read it, you will love it. And feel free to send me thank you notes and chocolates when you do.
Penny Jr. (Penny Reid)