Guess what Penelope is thinking about today? Beards? Nope. Romance novels? Not really. Gardens! Yep!
Finally, the snow has melted, and all of New England is.....brown. But brown is very, very beautiful. Why? Because it's not white. As in, covered with 7 feet of freakin' snow.
The only snow remaining is this dirty, gross pile in my neighbor's driveway. Our yard is finally free and clear!
Color coding for New England in March....
White = Hideous
Brown = Beautiful
Green = Nothing Short Of A Miracle
My courtyard garden is brown.....
My vegetable and herb garden is brown.....
Here is the one spot of green. God bless chives, bad-ass herb!
Here are Penelope's Gardening Plans for 2011....
- Transplant potted fig tree into the ground. I'm sick of getting one $%#^* fig per year. I think if I put it in the courtyard garden, I should get a nice yield of fruits.
- Attempt some new-for-me veggies: sweet potatoes, onions, bok choy or other Chinese veggies.
- Try my quirky Lemon Extravaganza Garden this year: all yellow and white flowers (some edible, such as Johnny Jump-Ups, etc), lemon herbs, lemon tomatoes, and lemon tree. I've been wanting to try this out for a while.
- Giant pumpkin patch with mini pumpkins and gourds.
- Tons of greens (since they are now a major part of my diet): Boston bibb, mesclun mix, etc.
- Add in: dahlias, star clematis, maybe lilacs (white and dark purple).
In addition to gardening, I am also thinking about Spring Vacation. In just a few short weeks, my family will be going to Captiva, Florida. Which brings up another important application of the phrase "brown is beautiful".....here is the color coding situation for my family:
5 Members of Penelope's Family....
- Hubby = Brown (Filipino)
- Son = Brown (Filipino)
- Daughter = Brown (Filipino)
- Dog = Black and Tan (Dachshund)
- Penny = Pasty White Girl
Sun exposure is clearly not an issue for Lucy, the dachshund.
Last time we went to Sanibel (2009), my husband, son and daughter turned delightful shades of color ranging from honey-dark chocolate.
Brown is Beautiful. Lobster Red is Painful.
Anyone else planning a spring garden? Going somewhere fun for spring break?